The North Course at Forest Creek Golf Club has reopened after an extensive renovation and restoration project undertaken by original course architect Tom Fazio.
Originally opened in 2005 as the second course at Forest Creek Golf Club, the North Course is a rugged layout with a pine barrens feel, flowing through sprawling sandy areas native to the Sandhills of North Carolina.
During the renovation, completed over the course of May to September 2019, Fazio made improvements from tee to green. The main updates:
- Green surfaces updated from bentgrass to Champion Bermuda for improved year-round playing conditions
- Greens expanded to their original, larger sizes
- Bunkers restored for a scruffier visual appearance
- Nearly 5 miles of drainage pipes installed underneath fairways for a firmer, faster playing surface
- New short game area added to the practice facility
“The North Course is substantially better now than when I first built it,” Fazio said. “It is not often I am given a piece of land this beautiful and perfectly suited for golf with no preconceived ideas and confinements concerning development.”