January 24, 2024
39 Things to Do in Pinehurst and Southern Pines, NC
Pinehurst Activities and Places to See
- Sandhills Farmers Market – Held in Tufts Memorial Park, browse local vendors including nurseries, farms, bakeries, cheesemakers and more; happening twice per week April to October.
- Given Memorial Library & Tufts Archives – Discover the history of Pinehurst at this public museum and library, archiving both golf and area knowledge since 1975.
- Bradshaw Performing Arts Center – The region’s newest, most-equipped arts and entertainment venue staging award-winning theater productions, concerts, seasonal family events and other indoor/outdoor productions.
- Holly Arts & Crafts Festival – This annual festival brings together over 100 different hand-crafters each October, from woodworking and glass to jewelry and stitched art.
- Pinehurst Barbecue Festival – Celebrating a tradition of Carolina barbecue over a three-day festival each fall, featuring award-winning Pitmasters and unique local vendor events.
Activities in Southern Pines
- Sunrise Theater – An attraction and historic site, showing new and classic films and hosting live music in the heart of downtown.
- Sandhills Horticultural Gardens – Stroll through over 32 acres of native and exotic gardens. Open free to the public daily and located on the Sandhills Community College campus.
- Weymouth Center – Celebrating 100 years of literature, music and hospitality, the Weymouth Center for the Arts & Humanities has something for everyone, including monthly events, gardens and rental spaces.
- Springfest – The annual arts and crafts fair in historic downtown, one of Southern Pines’ most popular events happening every April. 100+ NC vendors offer arts, crafts, games and food, while kid-themed events make Springfest the perfect family outing.
- Reservoir Park – Great for a run or walk on the greenway, picnics, fishing, disc golf and boating!
- Weymouth Woods Nature Preserve – Explore the longleaf pine forests and keep an eye out for extraordinary wildlife, with 7+ miles of hiking trails, horseback riding, birdwatching and picnicking.
Shopping in Pinehurst
Stroll through the quiet Village of Pinehurst for a mix of local shopping, community and golf history.
- Cooper & Bailey’s – A local mother and daughter-owned boutique offering trendy and classic, simple and timeless clothing and accessories.
- Teramasu – Your destination for luxury handmade jewelry, clothing, décor and accessories inspired by world travel.
- Ikonic Collection – Australian-style women’s clothing in a cozy modern boutique.
- Old Golf Shop – A golfer’s paradise for all things antique golf memorabilia, rare clubs, photographs, ceramics and more, with collections dating from the 1700’s and on.
Southern Pines Shopping
You’ll love exploring Southern Pines for an afternoon stopping into different local shops. A railroad runs through downtown, with shopping and dining all along Broad Street. While you explore, grab a pick-me-up at Swank Coffee Shop or a fun snack at the Southern Whey cheese shop.
- The Country Bookshop – Find your next page-turner at this cozy bookstore overlooking the tree-lined railroad tracks.
- Razzy Rose Boutique – Southern-style women’s clothing in a downtown storefront, from trendy dresses and rompers to shoes and accessories.
- Daisy Daydream – A cozy boutique with a unique take on vintage clothing.
- Mockingbird on Broad – Thoughtful gifts and items for your home, kitchen and friends, as well as accessories and clothing, including a great selection of gifts for children.
- Eye Candy Gallery & Framing – Showcasing the works of the Sandhills’ best visual artists and craftsmen.
- Cabin Branch Tack Shop – Located in historic downtown Southern Pines, the Cabin Branch Tack Shop has been serving the area’s equestrian community since 1954, whether you’re looking to window shop or buy new gear.
Pinehurst Restaurants and Coffee Shops
- Ironwood – Contemporary American cuisine cooking up flavors of the South with international ingredients, great for steaks and seafood, fine wine and friendly company.
- Drum & Quill – Voted the “Best Authentic Pub” three years and running, this is a local favorite for spirits, live music and casual eating.
- Elliotts on Linden – Gourmet, upscale farm-to-table cuisine ideal for date nights and special occasions.
- Lisi Italian – Simple, authentic Italian food in a laid-back, tasteful atmosphere.
- The Villager Deli – Your go-to for a hearty breakfast or lunch in the heart of Pinehurst, emphasizing local, seasonal ingredients since 1982.
- The Roast Office Coffee – Located in the old post office of Pinehurst, with décor to match, grab a cup of coffee in the café or a new novel in the connected bookstore.
- Agora Bakery – Grab a fresh cup of coffee or handmade baked goods with friends, or a bloody mary after a round of golf.
Places to Eat in Southern Pines
- Southern Prime Steakhouse – A classic, elegant steakhouse with an expansive wine cellar, perfect for a date night or special occasion.
- Ashten’s – Farm-to-table southern cuisine offering “global cuisine from a Southern Perspective,” with elegant indoor spaces and casual outdoor seating.
- Betsy’s Crepes – A local favorite for crepes, breakfast sandwiches, desserts and salads.
- Bell Tree Tavern – Relax on the patio with live music or watch the game on the big screen, with excellent brunch, mimosas, a bloody mary bar and American-style lunches and dinners.
- Chapman’s Food and Spirits – A lively tavern with sidewalk seating and a casual, comfortable atmosphere. Try the Cajun crawfish fries for a taste of something new.
- The Ice Cream Parlor – Take a break from your walk down Broad Street to grab a cone while shopping or after dinner.
- Red’s Corner – A permanent food truck park and tap beer garden; family and pet friendly in downtown Southern Pines, with year-round events including live music, yoga and makers market.
- Southern Pines Brewing Company – This Veteran-owned and operated brewery is a local favorite, with an outdoor patio and wide selection of beers in the taproom.
- BHAWK Distillery – A new distillery in Southern Pines providing fine American whiskeys and premium spirits. Founded in 2023 by retired Army Veterans Brad and Jessica Halling.
Experience Life at Your Own Pace